Search This Blog

Monday, July 11, 2011

I can haz gourmand syndrome

Rule 34 may have to be amended to throw in the word lolcat somewhere.

So I'm in maximum city. And every weekend has been a weekend of fun and frolic, some of it forced. But I've eaten at some fabulous places and have a lot to say of food, drink, ambience and service. In this post (since I don't have a food blog) I shall tell you all about interesting things I have been eating and also, cooking.

Went to this nice Italian place on sunday, called Quattro in Lower Parel. Now I'm not one of those underexposed comfort eaters who rely on potatoes and cheese to give them a global food experience. But I'd like to write about this place because the service was very good. Of course, I also went to Fenix last week and the service there was overwhelmingly good, yada yada, but you really pay through your nose for that kind of attention, y'know? The prices at Quattro are certainly reasonable by Bombay standards.

We ordered a cream of mushroom and leeks soup, siciliano pizza and gnocchi. I didn't have my camera with me, so no photos. The soup came with a few interesting breads and were very subtly and freshly flavoured. (I notice how I've been gravitating towards fresher flavours, even if tossed with stir fried something or a heavier sauce, as an alternative to heavy, spicy, overly rich food.)

So here's a list of the interesting things I've eaten over the last few weeks:

  • Gado gado salad (Busaba, Lower Parel)
  • Tuna carpaccio with orange, walnut and vinaigrette dressing. (the abovementioned Fenix, Oberoi)
  • BLT with cheddar and pesto (Salt Water Cafe, Bandra)
  • Beef Bulgagi Maki Roll (Busaba, Lower Parel)
  • Mediterannean Salad & Caesar Salad (Kala Ghoda Cafe)
  • Gooey Chocolate Cake (Cafe Churchill, Colaba)
  • Emmenthal and Pesto sandwich and Olive and basil tapenade sandwich (Moshe's Cafe, Colaba)
And oh, I fell in love with Mediterannean food in Himachal. Now, the list of interesting things I've made (I realise this is extremely tedious without pictures):
  • Quesadillas (spring onions, cheddar etc)
  • Risotto rice pudding (drenched in mangoes and nutella :-p) 
  • Two varieties of salad with Greek Yoghurt dressing. 
  • Mushrooms on toast.
And the gourmand syndrome? It's for real. I read a story about a snowboarder, Kevin Pearce, who had a near fatal accident, and re-emerged post severe trauma with an inexplicable craving for basil pesto. Now, I wouldn't generally attribute this to syndromes or afflictions, I can completely understand a craving for basil pesto, with its creamy cheese and fresh basil and quirky, crunchy pine nuts, but he was quite indifferent to the food before.

Pesto is, indeed, the best-o.

2 comments:

  1. I'd like the risotto rice pudding recipe please! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://joythebaker.com/2011/06/risotto-rice-pudding-with-brown-sugar-and-vanilla/

    here you go! be warned that it'll be really heavy so use portions accordingly.

    ReplyDelete